Diet and lifestyle play an important role in maintaining a healthy heart and circulation. Below are simple dietary and lifestyle changes you can make to help support heart health. A few tips are:
- Eat more fish. Fish is a rich source of omega‐3 Fatty Acids which helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels in healthy individuals, improves elasticity of the blood vessel walls and promotes good blood circulation.
- Limit intake of unhealthy fats. These include butter, animal fats, cream sauces and hydrogenated margarine. Instead, use healthy oils such as olive and canola oils and margarines which state they are free from trans fats.
- Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables as these are rich in antioxidants which helps protect the heart.
- Control excess salt intake. A lot of sodium can contribute to unhealthy blood pressure.
- Add garlic to your cooking. Fresh garlic has anti‐oxidant properties and helps maintain healthy levels.
- Exercise daily. Physical activity helps strengthen the heart muscle, improves blood flow and helps control body weight.
- Take a daily multi-vitamin and mineral supplement as nutritional insurance to meet your body’s nutrient needs. This may help reduce the risk of many health problems including fatigue, lowered immunity and impaired cognitive function.
You Might be interested in Reading