Healthier Homemade Gingerbread Men
Baking is the perfect way to get into the Christmas spirit, and festive treats makes for great homemade party favours or personalised gifts for family and friends.
These gingerbread stars are a portion controlled way to re-live the memories of enjoying gingerbread men as children. This recipe is refined sugar free, but uses pureed apple and stevia for the sweetness you look for in gingerbread. We recommend cooking and pureeing your own apples, otherwise look for non-added sugar apple sauce or pie apple in the supermarket.
The almond meal gives this recipe something special and is combined with plain white flour given that is works best, but you can also try wholemeal flour or a combination of gluten free flours – don’t be afraid to mix things up!
Serves: Approximately 15 gingerbread stars
2/3 cup plain flour
½ cup almond meal
1 ½ tsp dry ginger
Grated rind of 1 orange
5 Tbs applesauce (homemade cooked and pureed apple recommended)
1 Tb stevia
2 Tbs butter
Shredded coconut to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C
2. Mix the flour, almond meal, stevia, ginger and rind together in a bowl.
3. Melt the butter and applesauce (or cook and puree your own apples) and slowly mix the wet mixture into the dry ingredients.
4. Bring the mixture into a ball with your hands and work it together until the texture becomes smooth.
5. Wrap the mixture in cling wrap and pop it in the fridge for an hour to rest (this is especially important in warmer weather otherwise the butter will be too soft).
6. Remove from the fridge and leave to rest until it is warm, but still firm.
7. Roll the mixture out until it is around ½ cm in thickness. Use a star cutter or other small festive cutter of choice to cut out shapes. Place on a lined baking tray about 2cm apart.
8. Press a sprinkle of shredded coconut on top of each star for a Christmassy feel.
9. Pop them in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until brown.
10. Transfer to a rack to cool.
Serving Size 18g
Makes x 15 biscuits
|Nutrient||Per Serve||Per 100g|
|Total fat (g)||3.18||17.92|
|Saturated fat (g)||1.43||8.05|
|Dietary fibre (g)||0.66||3.71|