Moroccan Jewelled Salad
This colourful and tasty salad is the perfect accompaniment to any BBQ. Not only is it an excellent source of dietary fibre, but it is also a source of Iron whilst being low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium.
1 can chickpeas (400g – drained)
½ cup wholemeal cous cous (dry)
1 red capsicum
1 yellow capsicum
2 spring onions, finely diced
½ bunch mint leaves, shredded
Zest of 1 orange
4 cups mixed salad leaves of choice
Salt and pepper
Juice of an orange
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1. Add 1 cup of boiled water to a heat proof bowl and stir in the cous cous. Cover and leave for a few minutes until the water is absorbed.
2. Drain and rinse the chickpeas with water and set aside in a colander. Slice the pomegranates and remove the seeds, collecting excess juice in a bowl.
3. In another large bowl, add the diced spring onions, red and yellow capsicum, shredded mint leaves and orange zest.
4. Fluff up the cous cous with a fork and stir through the salad along with the chickpeas.
5. In a small dish, mix the orange juice, olive oil and spices. Drizzle the dressing over the salad.
6. Dress with pomegranate seeds and juice. Add salt and pepper to season.
Serving size: 189g
|Nutrient||Per Serve||Per 100g|
|Energy||917kJ (219Cal)||485kJ (116Cal)|
|Vitamin C||56.4mg (141%RDI)||29.8mg|