Sweet potato, Chickpea and Baby Spinach Patties with Salad
This powerhouse lunch contains low GI carbs such as sweet potato and chickpeas for sustained energy release and it is also an excellent source of dietary fibre for good gut health too. It is low in total fat and also low in saturated fat as well as containing a source of Calcium plus a very good source of Iron and Vitamin C. This recipe makes x 12 patties and makes 4 large serves (3 patties each) or 6 small serves (2 x patties each).
500g Sweet Potato
400g tin chickpeas, no added salt, rinsed and drained
1 brown onion
½ cup fresh coriander, chopped
1 cup baby spinach leaves
2 egg whites
2Tb low fat Ricotta Cheese
2 Tb wholemeal flour
1 pinch pepper
2 Tb parmesan cheese – finely grated to coat fritters
Olive Oil Spray
4 cups fresh rocket
4 Tb Low fat Greek yoghurt
1 Tb fresh chives
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line baking tray with non-stick paper.
2. Cook sweet potato for 10mins in boiling water or microwave container with water then drain and mash until smooth. Put in fridge to cool or stainless steel bowl in sink of cold water/ice.
3. Put chickpeas, paprika, pepper, ricotta and egg whites in a blender and pulse until smooth.
4. Add chopped brown onion, coriander, wholemeal flour and baby spinach leaves into a bowl with cooled sweet potato and add chickpea mixture combining all ingredients thoroughly.
5. Shape into 12 patties and coat with parmesan cheese.
6. Bake on lined tray for 35-40mins and turn once when golden.
7. Serves x 4 people. Portion out 1 cup of rocket each followed by x 3 patties topped with some low fat Greek yoghurt and fresh chives.
Serving size 249g
|Nutrient||Per serve||Per 100g|
|Energy||1230kJ (293Cal)||418kJ (100Cal)|
|Vitamin C||57.3mg (143%RDI)||19.5mg|